Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Next Chapter; Chickens and Elections

Well, in the past week and a half, I have left Tulsa, OK and driven across country with all my belongings (well, all my belongings that aren't in storage already, but I digress) to Scio, OR to start a new life on my Sister's fiber farm. It was not an easy decision to leave Tulsa because I loved it there, had made some very good friends and some really great contacts, but I had become to realize the trades offs were not worth the barter to continue living there. I won't go into that, my heart is full of gratitude for the time there and besides, that's not what this post is about.

When I got to the farm, I was informed that I would be sharing my bathroom with two baby chickens who had needed to be moved inside. Internally I groaned. There are all sorts of, let's say, substances around this place I'm not entirely on board with yet, but I am the one entering this environment. I am the outsider, and I must adapt to be here.

The first morning I woke up to find the chicks had been moved outside. End of that story. Or so I thought, the next morning, they were back. Let me take a moment to explain, they are living in a giant tote full of clean straw, not roaming free. The female chicken had been injured by something over the night and could no longer stand on her own. All through the day my sister and I took turns going in and standing her back up to encourage her, but by mid-day, it did not look good. I admit, there was a moment there where I really felt she needed someone to step in and just end it for her, but did not act on it. It wasn't my decision.

Then something amazing happened. I was in there holding the water out for her so she could drink and thought, let's try this; I gradually pulled the water back from her bit by bit and she suddenly stood on her own to reach it! I was so excited for her, and kind of proud of myself for having been there to help that first step forward. Throughout the rest of the day, she got up more and more.

This morning, she is on her own two feet, a little worse for wear, but up and moving. She had just needed that time to heal and some gentle encouragement to get there.

Here is where I am going with this; Today America goes to the polls. We are divided politically, but so what? Just remember no matter who is in charge when we wake up tomorrow, just turn to those you love and give them whatever they need to get through the day. No president will ever do for us what we can do for each other so don't give one human being you don't even really know that much power over your life. Just focus on the ones who will cheer when you find your own feet and (as my roommate in Tulsa always said) it will be all right.

Love, Megan AKA Anna Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment